Love poetry? Share it! Here are 30 Ways to Celebrate National Poetry Month. If you are a poet and you know it, you can also participate in Archer’s annual Poet Laureate Contest.
2012 Upper School Poet Laureate: Tess Morgan: “For Grandma, in the Deep Water”
2012 Middle School Poet Laureate: Lulu Cerone: “That Ratty Old Doll”
2012 MCL Poet Laureate. A Tie: Athena Schlereth: “Quis?” (Latin) and Shishi Shomloo: “El Monstruito” (Spanish)
Rules for Submission:
- All poems must be your original work. They must be typed and include your full name and grade level at the top of the page. Poems that do not meet these criteria cannot be considered.
- You may submit a maximum of two poems for consideration in each category (so you can submit up to two in English and up to two in a Modern or Classical Language with an English translation).
- Poems must be in good taste: appropriate to Archer’s standards, which include both taking risks and being a responsible member of the community. We have faith you can find this balance.
- Poems written in English must be submitted to your English teacher (or directly to Ms. Taylor in Rm. 262) by 3:00pm on Tuesday, 4/30. Please submit a TYPED, PRINTED copy; poems sent only via email cannot be considered.
- Poems written in another language must be submitted to your English or Modern/Classical language teacher (or directly to Ms. Taylor in Rm. 279) by 3:00pm on Tuesday, 4/30. Please include an English translation along with your original poem. Please submit a TYPED, PRINTED copy; poems sent only via email cannot be considered.
Poems will be judged anonymously by a panel of teachers and administrators the following week, and the winners will be announced as soon as possible!
All winners will receive a certificate and an Amazon gift card.
- First place winners will be named Poet Laureate in their category and will receive a certificate and a $50 Amazon gift card.
- Second place winners will receive a certificate and a $25 Amazon gift card.
- The first place winners will also be submitted for publication in Write in the Middle (MS) or Pillars of Salt (US).